01 July 2013

1 July 2013 - Charli XCX - Nuclear Seasons / You (Ha Ha Ha)

I am going to try to go through this entire post without referencing Charli XCX's biggest hit, which just hit #1 in the UK on 30 June 2013. I mean, I love it, but I don't care, even if she wrote it.  No, we are going to talk about her terrific debut album - True Romance - with which I am totally and completely obsessed.  Originally slated for release in April 2012, it was eventually released in 2013, after, well, you know, that little hit song we aren't talking about.

The first track is a throwback of a song, very heavy on the synth, that would have worked just as well in 1985 as it does today.  Charli's strong voice reminds me of Dale Bozzio of Missing Persons in this song.



Whereas the first track is a throwback, the second, while retaining heavy synth, is far more modern in its pacing and mix.  It's somewhat hard to follow on first listen.  I urge you to try it twice.  It grows on you.  It's definitely different than anything you've heard on the radio, to be sure.



Aw, what the hell.  Here's Charli with Icona Pop at SXSW 2013, performing The Song That Shall Not Be Named.  As far as I know, this is the only time they've performed it together.  Scott did a more complete post about this song here - and I covered it here on Totally Covered.  As I wrote here, Charli XCX co-wrote the song (and probably should have kept it for herself).

No comments:

Post a Comment